Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day 3



I know there are a lot of people who travel many miles to find places to go on a long distance bike ride. I also realize there are some beautiful places in this world that I have never been. However, we have a treasure right here in our own backyard in Kentucky. The Trace follows the creeks and the rivers on these narrow roads much like the Buffalo and the Indians would have done. Hence, the name Buffalo Trace or Boone Trace.I can't imagine any place in the world anymore beautiful and scenic as this.I am grateful to God for this experience.

I stopped in at the antique store on 25 along the Trace. Found a backpack for $15 that will do quite nicely. Not long after getting on US 25  you pass the monument place on the right. You will turn left. Just after you turn left you'll see a church, Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, there is also a sign that points the way thanks to Mike Mills. 

If you're looking to do long distance bike riding on flat straight roads this is not the place for you. This is Kentucky after all. But what is the fun in that anyway? That would be boring. So, for motorcycles and bicycles this is a lot of fun. It is also hard work and challenging.
Just after passing Mount Pleasant Baptist Church I had a malfunction with my bike rack.

And then I discovered that the screws that held the rack at the bottom were missing. I had to improvise. I used some electrical tape and bungee cord's not knowing if this would get me to my next destination.

 After reaching Gray,KY I stopped in at C & S market. While there,  a lady who happened to be at the store named Elizabeth Whitley began a conversation with me.I found out that she had worked in Pikeville, which is my hometown. She has a farm not far from the market. She is a paramedic. She helped me fix my bike rack using some duct tape that she had. She did a good job because it held up the rest of the day! I am so amazed and appreciative of her help!

 I Stopped at corner market at MCards.
 The lady working at the store was Wilma. 
If you decide to take this route you will notice there is a difference between the interactive map and the printed directions. I chose to take the route of the printed directions.

It was a beautiful, peaceful ride until I got close to Levi Jackson State Park on 229. It was a little scary with traffic going by so fast, and no room to get off the road, I ended up riding on the rumble strips part of the time. I do not recommend this route for bicycles. My advice is for anyone who decides to ride a  bike, use the interactive map. I spent some time at Levi Jackson State Park at some of the markers there. One of the most moving markers is the marker where a young woman from the McNitt family hid in a tree and birthed a child while her family was being massacred by Indians.

I was able to make it to London before dark where I will spend the night at my brothers house. Along the way, I have met some interesting people, and saw some beautiful sites. There were too many scenic views to capture on my camera, and too many experiences to convey with words. The old saying "you had to be there" is true for this experience as well.
And now for a good nights rest. 

Thank you Lord for protecting me throughout the day and for giving me a day I will never forget.

Expect great things from God, Attempt great things for God - William Carey
Larry Penix

3 comments:

  1. There are many beautiful places in KY. Glad you are enjoying them and your ride. Be safe and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many beautiful places in KY. Glad you are enjoying them and your ride. Be safe and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Son, wish you could be with me to experience this. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete